Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cairo Traffic: An observation

I have a question, every friday I go to my father on the Cairo-Fayoum Road, and have to my way home on the ring road via the Mehwar. The intersection was always a nightmare and I used to have to plan ahead about how to tackle this intersection, or rather avoid it all together. If I got caught on the wrong side of the intersection it could mean about 45-60 mins of waiting at this junction. A true nightmare, and it didn't make a difference what time I started my journey home, I would always meet the same problem (unless I waited to midnigth or so, I think)

Amazingly every since the 28th January my drive back to Mohandseen has been different, arriving at the junction it always seems to be empty and the traffic is flowing well through it. I honestly totally forgot the sight of cars lined up for a distance on the ring road waiting to merge.The first few weeks I reverted this to the curfew and the stress and fear that people had making them less mobile around town. However lately the curfew has been pushed out and people didn`t really bother much about it, nonetheless the junction remains to be clear at different hours of the evening. It is really baffling me, how come the problem just dissappeared?

The only difference I could make out is the Police men at the junction and a little further in Lebanon square, or rather the lack of them is more correct. Is it the notion that they always needed to have lebanon street under control becuase of Habib Eladly, ex-minister of interior? no clue but hope that if the policemen are the reason for all the delays that were at this junction that they pay them double to stay at home :) and make sure they stay put.

1 comment:

  1. Could it be that drivers became more considerate of each other resulting in a decent flow without formal regulations? The policemen theory sounds more probable though!

    ReplyDelete